Striving for Simple (www.strivingforsimple.co.uk) is a blog, business and online community website based in the UK. In order to function as it should and to provide you the best content, this website does collect some personal data (but nothing out of the ordinary). Your privacy is very important and will be respected.
What data is collected
The personal data collected from you includes:
- your Internet Protocol (IP) address, and details of which web browser you used
- information on how you use the site, using cookies (more information below)
- comments you post to this site, including any personal details you choose to include such as your name and email address
- questions or feedback you leave, including your email address if you contact Striving for Simple
- your first name, email address and subscription preferences when you sign up to receive emails
- data about how you use emails sent from Striving for Simple – for example whether you open them and which links you click on
Cookies are small files that are downloaded onto your computer (or your mobile phone) from websites that you visit. Cookies contain information that allows websites to recognise that you have used the site before.
Cookie Notice – This cookie is used to remember a user’s choice about cookies on www.strivingforsimple.co.uk. Where users have previously indicated a preference, that user’s preference will be stored in this cookie for 1 month.
Comments – If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
All browsers allow you to control which cookies you accept and which you delete. You will usually find these settings under the ‘Preferences’ or ‘Tools’ menu of your browser. For more information about cookies, please see www.allaboutcookies.org.
Striving for Simple uses the WordPress anti-spam plugin Akismet. When visitors leave comments on the site, to help spam detection, Akismet collects the commenter’s IP address, user agent, referrer, and Site URL (along with other information directly provided by the commenter such as their name, username, email address, and the comment itself).
Contact form submissions will be kept as long as necessary to respond and deal with the message submitted. We do not use the information submitted through the contact form for marketing purposes.
Email list sign-up forms
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Why this data is collected
This data is collected in order to:
- improve the site by monitoring how you use it
- gather feedback to improve the site and other services
- respond to any questions or feedback you send us, if you’ve asked us to
- send email alerts to users who request them
What we do with your data
The data collected by Striving for Simple will not be shared with any third party unless we have your express permission to do so or if required to do so by law (for example, by court order, or to prevent fraud or other crime).
How long we keep your data
We will only retain your personal data for as long as:
- it is needed for the purposes set out in this policy
- the law requires us to
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognise and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
Where your data is processed and stored
Every effort has been made to ensure that your data is as safe as possible, both while it’s processed and when it’s stored.
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
Your personal data may be transferred outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). Where this is the case, all appropriate technical and legal safeguards will be put in place to ensure that you are afforded the same level of protection as within the EEA.
How we protect your data and keep it secure
Striving for Simple takes your privacy seriously and is committed to doing all it can to keep your data secure. We also make sure that any third parties that we deal with keep all personal data they process on our behalf secure.
You have the right to request:
- information about how your personal data is processed
- a copy of that personal data
- that anything inaccurate in your personal data is corrected immediately
You can also:
- raise an objection about how your personal data is processed
- request that your personal data is erased if there is no longer a justification for it
- ask that the processing of your personal data is restricted in certain circumstances
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
If you have any of these requests, email email@example.com
Links to other websites
Changes to this policy
Contact us or make a complaint
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you:
- have any questions about anything in this document
- think that your personal data has been misused or mishandled
You can also make a complaint to the Information Commissioner, who is an independent regulator.
Telephone: 0303 123 1113
Textphone: 01625 545860
Information Commissioner’s Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Last updated: 7 December 2019